Sunday, August 6, 2017

Transfigured, Transformed, ready or not?


Matthew 17:1-9



The miracle of the transfiguration.



When I read today’s reading, meditating on it, I came to think about how much it must have meant and how powerful that experience was for the Apostles that were privileged to see Jesus in this way.  It’s obvious in their reaction, they want to build three alters! (Who wouldn’t if they saw something so Holy!)  As I built the scene in my mind, I suddenly realized something…not all the Apostles are there.  Peter, James, and John are the only three people who follow the Messiah are allowed to see this glory.  This is something I think we need to consider as we read this passage.



I want us to reflect, for a moment, about seeing Jesus in His Glory-this transfigured way.  This form exists in Him, is Him, all the time yet before us (the people around him at the time) He appears as any man might.  Consider how different the story might be if, from his baptism by St. John, He appeared as He did in the moment of transfiguration all the time.  How would that have changed the Gospel?  I think we have hints scattered through the Old and New Testament as to why He didn’t come first in Glory.  The first of which, I believe, is found in this verse itself.  It was so obvious once I thought about it, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t seen it the first dozen times I’d read the scripture. 



The first thing we need to realize, is that of all His disciples and followers He picks only three to see Him in this way.  Which, if we are paying attention to Matthew 17:11-13, this begins to make sense. 



Matt 17: 11-13



11Jesus replied, "To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands." 13Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.



“And they did not recognize him” stands out to me as does “Then the disciples understood.”  Peter, James, and John, all three recognized Jesus, Moses, and Elijah as they saw them in this way.  They later understood what had happened, and what Jesus was speaking about.  In other words, they were ready for the revelation given to them.  This was not an accident, surely, but something Jesus knew about where they were, and who they were in their spiritual journey with Him.  The people in general did not recognize St. John the Baptist for who and what he was, they were not ready.  They did not understand.  Now, here is the kicker…because they weren’t ready, because they didn’t understand, St. John was beheaded.  Because we weren’t ready for St. John, we then were not ready for Jesus.  What seems to happen when we aren’t ready and then are exposed to Holiness and truth is that we reject, sometimes violently, the Holiness and truth.  Peter, James, and John were ready.  They had the right heart.  They fell and worshipped and wanted to mark the spot as Holy.  They accepted, they understood.  Jesus knew the strengths and weaknesses of all his Apostles and at this point those three were ready to fully receive and understand his great revelation.



So, this brings me back to us now.  As I meditate on this scripture I ask myself, am I ready?  We talk a lot about looking forward to Christ’s return.  He will come again in Glory, we say.  In His Glory, He will be as He was when He transfigured, so my question for myself and for all of us is this: Am I ready to receive him, will I understand His great revelation, or will I reject violently the Holiness I see?  It’s a big question, with eternal consequences.



Father, I beg you to make me ready. Allow me to be as Peter, James, and John, ready to receive and able to understand.  In Jesus name, Amen. 



Here I am, Lord, send me,



Lisa Brandel












No comments :

Post a Comment